Wild Wine School presents A Modern Introduction to Wine
A Cornwall-based wine school has developed a unique online course designed to delve deeper into the world of wine, introducing people to contemporary topics.
A Modern introduction to Wine is an eight week online course created by the Wild Wine School, which was founded in 2019 by Debbie Warner.
Each week explores a new subject, paired with a carefully selected bottle of wine.
Debbie said: “This course is for people who are curious to know the stories behind the wines they drink, and are fascinated by the processes involved in how wine is made.
“We shine a spotlight on modern themes such as organic and biodynamic viticulture, natural wines, the booming English wine scene, and discover stories about captivating wine regions around the world. We’ll also discuss the basics of winemaking and the main grape varieties, as well as popping some corks on sparkling wine week, and understanding more about food pairings.
“The course is for mixed abilities, and as a class we’ll work together to ensure everyone gets the most out of the experience. Those joining with prior knowledge will have the opportunity to share, inform and exchange views, and those just starting out will bring fresh energy, ideas, and tastebuds.”
Evolving with the seasons to reflect the time of year, the course includes:
- Eight weekly emails of guided study featuring an introduction to each week’s activity, suggested further reading, and recommended videos and podcasts to listen to.
- Live Zoom sessions every Thursday evening with a virtual wine tasting led by Debbie.
- Guest appearances from industry experts including winemakers, merchants and sommeliers. Guests include Ruth Spivey – wine writer and founder of Wine Car Boot, Ben Walgate – co-founder and owner of Tillingham Wines, and Tommy Grimshaw – head winemaker at Langham Winery.
- A case of eight seasonally-chosen wines.
- A Wild Wine School tasting glass, bottle opener, and 17 flavour prompt cards.
Priced at £395 for one person, or £495 for two joining from the same house (they will receive one box of wines, two tasting glasses, two sets of flavour prompt cards), A Modern Introduction to Wine is available to book online, and there is also the option to purchase the course as a gift – a perfect Christmas present for wine lovers. The next course starts mid-January 2022 and will run through to March.
All Zoom sessions are recorded, giving participants the option to join live for a fun, interactive evening, or gain access to the content each week in their own time.
The Wild Wine School provides wine education with a sustainable focus, as well as training for top hospitality businesses such as The Pig Hotels, Ducksoup, and Nancarrow Farm. From in-depth WSET accredited courses, to workshops, and Wild Wine Club banquets served under stars, it brings people away from their desks and out into the great outdoors.
For more information, visit wildwineschool.co.uk.